The BEHAVIORAL MEASUREMENT Letter
Enriching the Health and Behavioral Sciences by Expanding and Disseminating Knowledge About Measurement.
Since the mid-1990s, BMDS has published and distributed The Behavioral Measurement Letter — a professional newsletter for researchers, practitioners, and students that focuses on issues concerning measurement in the health and psychosocial sciences.
The Behavioral Measurement Letter includes original invited articles by authors across diverse disciplines concerning a wide variety of measurement-related topics, including:
- Measurement problems and challenges
- Guidelines for selecting appropriate instruments in research and practice
- Strategies for instrument development and validation
- Historical overviews of specific measurement tools.
Some issues of The Behavioral Measurement Letter are devoted entirely to a single programmatic topic; other issues contain a diverse set of articles pertaining to a variety of different topics.
Examples of past newsletter articles include the following:
- Addiction and Gambling Disorders: On Matters of Measurement and Validity (Howard J. Shaffer, PhD) - Vol. 6, No. 1 Winter 1999
- A Patient-Centered Measure of Spirituality (Bruce B. Frey, PhD, & Timothy P. Daaleman, DO) - Vol. 6, No. 2 Fall 1999
- Assessing the Quality of Life of Cancer Survivors (Frank Baker, PhD) - Vol. 7, No. 1 Winter 2000
- Beck Depression Inventory—II (Aaron T. Beck, MD, & Robert A. Steer, EdD) - Vol. 3, No. 2 Spring 1996
- Bootstrapping the Way to Valid Diagnostic Interviews (Lee Robins, PhD) - Vol. 5, No. 2 Spring 1998
- Faith in Measurement (David F. Gillespie, PhD) - Vol. 2, No. 1 Fall 1994
- Measurement and Methodological Issues in Minority Aging Research (Mildred Ramirez, PhD, Marvella Ford, PhD, & Anita L. Stewart, PhD) - Vol. 7, No. 1 Winter 2000
- Measuring Perceptions of Relational Communication (Michael Pfau, PhD) - Vol. 4, No. 2 Spring 1997
- On Differences (Florence S. Downs, EdD, RN, FAAN) - Vol. 3, No. 1 Fall 1995
- Selecting Tools for Use in Cross-Cultural Measurement (Carolyn F. Waltz, PhD, RN, FAAN) - Vol. 8, No. 2 Winter 2005
- Patient Self-Report Questionnaires as Integral to Clinical Care (Theodore Pincus, MD, & Frederick Wolfe, MD) - Vol. 5, No. 1 Fall 1997
- Refinements to the Lubben Social Network Scale: The LSNS-R (James Lubben, DSW, MPH, Melanie Gironda, PhD, MSW, & Alex Lee, PhD, MSW) - Vol. 7, No. 2 Winter 2002